Wednesday 5 March 2014

Keys to the TEST 4th March 2014

Rephrasing. Write the sentences again starting with the word given:

1. ‘Where does she live?’, can you tell me?
Can you tell me where she lives?

2. I came to live in Málaga three years ago.
I have been living in Málaga for three years.
3. ‘Did they like the film?’, she asked.
She asked if/whether they have liked the film.

4. 'I will give you a lift to the station', Monica said.
Monica offered to give (us/me) a lift to the station.

5. I love German. Unfortunately, I can‟t speak it fluently.
I wish I could speak German fluently.

6. This is the man. His job is very dangerous.
This is the man whose job is very dangerous.

7. You’ll make more mistakes if you speak so fast.
The faster you speak, the more mistakes you will make.
8. I’m sure that David took your books by mistake.
David must have taken your books by mistake.

9. She had three lovely kids and a wonderful husband but she wasn’t happy.
In spite of having three lovely kids and a wonderful husband, she wasn't happy.

10. I have a shower every day in the morning. It takes me about 20 minutes. I usually start at 7:30.
At 7:45 tomorrow I will be having a shower.

11. If you don’t take care of those shoes, they won’t last for long.
Unless you take care of those shoes, they won’t last for long .

12. "Don't touch electrical appliances with wet hands “, said the security manager.
The security manager warned us not to touch electrical appliances with wet hands .

13. They are likely to burst out laughing when they see the present. (Use ‘probably’)
They will probably burst out laughing when they see the present .

14.
Someone might have stolen it.
It may/might have been stolen.

 

15. You've all worked extremely hard today. You can leave early.
As you've all worked extremely hard today, you can leave early.


16. Irish people
who live in Great Britain have the right to vote in British elections.
Irish people living
in Great Britain have the right to vote in British elections.

17. We supply this appliance with a plug.
A plug is supplied with this appliance .

Join the sentences with the linker in brackets. Make the necessary changes.
1. The students didn’t behave, so the teacher got angry (because)
The teacher got angry because the students didn’t behave.
2. If you aren’t 18, you aren’t allowed to buy or drink alcohol (unless)
Unless you are 18, you aren’t allowed to buy or drink alcohol.
3. There weren’t enough children to play, thus the football match was cancelled (as)
The football match was cancelled as there weren’t enough children to play.
4. It snowed heavily, but some skiers didn’t stop skiing (despite)
Some skiers didn’t stop skiing despite the heavy snow.
5. We have installed an alarm. We want to prevent thieves from breaking in (so as to)
We have installed an alarm so as to prevent thieves from breaking in.
6. He couldn’t participate in the marathon. Patrick broke his leg last week (as a result)
Patrick broke his leg last week. As a result, he couldn’t participate in the marathon.
7. They didn’t go on holiday. My friends hadn’t saved enough money (since)
My friends didn’t go on holiday since they  hadn’t saved enough money.
8. Buy some salmon, Pete. I want to prepare your mum’s favourite dish (so that)
Buy some salmon, Pete so that I can prepare your mum’s favourite dish.
9. We missed the bus. We ran for it (however).
We ran for the bus. However, we missed it.
10. I made a big dinner. The children might show up (in case)
I made a big dinner in case the children showed up.
11. They moved to a new house. The Jones hadn’t bought the furniture yet (although)
The Jones moved to a new house although they hadn’t bought the furniture yet.
12. His sister is mad about sport. Paul enjoys painting (whereas)Paul enjoys painting whereas his sister is mad about sport.

No comments:

Post a Comment