Tuesday 23 October 2018

The more, the merrier... The..., the... COMPARATIVES





Only comparatives:
The poorer he is, the wiser he seems. (The + comparative adjective + subject + verb, the + comparative adjective + subject + verb)



With "more" and "less":
The more you buy, the more you waste.
The less I smoke, the healthier I am.
The more I read, the more I like it.
The less I go out, the more I save. 


Attention:
The less fat they eat, the slimmer they get.
The fewer pupils I have, the happier I feel.


Less → with uncountables
Fewer → with countables


You can omit the verbs, too (especially in answers):


- How do they prefer their soup?
- The hotter, the better


- What time could I start?
- The sooner, the better


The more expensive the restaurant is,  the better the service is
= The more expensive the restaurant, the better the service




Clicking here you can test your abilities using this structure.





No comments:

Post a Comment